- This event has passed.
Introduction to Motivational Interviewing
November 19, 2019 @ 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm
REGISTRATION IS CURRENTLY FULL. TO BE ADDED TO THE WAITING LIST, PLEASE CLICK HERE.
A brand new training from CHTI!
Topics: Tools and strategies for motivational interviewing, using motivational interviewing in our community work.
Description: Motivational Interviewing is a powerful tool for supporting behavior change. It is a practical, empathetic, and person-driven approach for eliciting the internal motivation needed to make a change. Motivational Interviewing is a tool traditionally used in interpersonal relationships, so how can we use motivational interviewing in a broader community context? This training will cover the basics of motivational interviewing and how it can be applied to multiple settings, including community meetings, forums, and one-on-one conversations. Participants will be able to practice motivational interviewing and all the components of it by asking open-ended questions, affirming, using reflective listening, and summarizing during a conversation.
Audience: Coalition leaders and members leading conversations in their communities and coalitions.
Trainer: Daisy Ortega, Health Resources in Action
Learning Objectives: Participants will be able to:
1. Name the basic principles of motivational interviewing
2. Identity ways to apply MI principles into community work
3. Explain the importance of motivational interviewing for supporting community change
MA DPH Coalition Criteria Addressed:
1. Shared vision including a focus on reducing health disparities and promoting health equity
2. Consistency with MA DPH‚Äôs goals and priorities
3. Participation from key stakeholders (individuals and organizations that have a vested stake or interest in a program or policy initiative, e.g. it will impact them directly)