- This event has passed.
Community Building Through a Health Equity Framework
March 1, 2018 @ 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
This is a previous offering, please click here for a recording.
Presented by the Community Health Training Institute
Description: Effective community health work applies an equity lens, with an emphasis on building individual and coalition capacity to engage diverse communities through empowering and competent approaches. There are numerous barriers to such engagement; some conscious, and some unconscious. Race, class, and cultural communication styles all influence the ways in which diverse communities relate to the work. This online training will introduce participants to health equity, culturally competent approaches, and how to think collaboratively about ways to effectively engage diverse populations/communities in their efforts.
Audience: Individuals or teams working towards community health who may be new to health equity work, or those seeking a refresher.
Learning Objectives: Participants completing this online training will be able to:
- Describe health equity and diversity in a community context.
- Describe aspects of a culturally competent approach to community work.
- Identify strategies for collaborative work when working across differences.
Trainer: Mo Barbosa (HRiA)
This training addresses the following MA DPH Coalition Criteria:
- Consistency with MA DPH‚Äôs goals and priorities
- Participation from key stakeholders (individuals and organizations that have a vested stake or interest in a program or policy initiative, e.g. it will impact them directly)
- Membership that is reflective of the community
- Shared vision including a focus on reducing health disparities and promoting health equity