- This event has passed.
Dismantling Structural Racism to Advance Health Equity
June 17, 2020 @ 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
JOIN US FOR THIS NEW TRAINING, NOW HAPPENING ONLINE!
Topics: Overview of the history of race-based inequities and the systems that perpetuate them, cultural competency skill building, and tools for addressing inequities in the community
Description: From the devastating health disparities exposed by Covid-19 to the on-going racial injustices in health, housing, schooling, work, and criminal justice, we have our work cut out for us. That said, Covid-19 has shown us that large-scale systems and policies can be changed swiftly when needed. This training will strategize how we can take that momentum forward into strong pushes for the kinds of structural change that will dismantle racism and increase health equity in our state. Participants will get to work together to identify the systems and policies they want to take on, and collectively build new strategies and language to move this urgent work forward.
Audience: Individuals or teams working towards community health who may be new to discussing power and racial dynamics in the context of their community work.
Learning Objectives: Participants will be able to:
1. Define structural racism and the systems that perpetuate it
2. Identify strategies for challenging systems and creating change
3. Use the I-A-E tool to contextualize negative health outcomes in the ideas and arrangements that help create them
Trainers: Mo Barbosa (HRiA) and Lori Lobenstine (Design Studio for Social Intervention)
MA DPH Coalition Criteria Addressed:
1. Consistency with MA DPH‚Äôs goals and priorities
2. Participation from key stakeholders (individuals and organizations that have a vested stake or interest in a program or policy initiative, e.g. it will impact them directly)
3. Membership that is reflective of the community
4. Shared vision including a focus on reducing health disparities and promoting health equity