- This event has passed.
Intro to Community Economic Development
February 15 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Description: This is an online Zoom Training. The Zoom link will be sent closer to the date of the training.
This course will provide an overview of contemporary community development including its values, goals, theory of change and strategies. The day is designed to examine the challenges and opportunities confronting community developers today. We will explore:
- How the field has evolved since its birth in the 1960s and 1970s.
- How the field is currently organized, including the role of different players such as community based organizations, community development financial institutions, local, state and federal government agencies, banks, and other stakeholders.
- The core values and goals of the community development field, the tensions and contradictions that we face and the theory of change that drives our work
- The core community economic development issues and strategies, including community planning, community organizing, real estate development and business development, while also looking at some of the emerging innovations in the field.
- Briefly explore how community development has responded to COVID-19
Registration deadline: February 14, 2022
Registration fee: Regular $60, MACDC Member $30, Student/AmeriCorps/Intern $15