- This event has passed.
Power and Privilege in Health Equity
March 15, 2018 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
This was a previous offering, please contact us for more information!
Presented by the Community Health Training Institute
Topics: Defining privilege; identifying power influences; leveraging power positively in community work
Description: This training will provide participants with an opportunity to examine critical questions about their personal relationship with power and privilege. What is privilege? How does it manifest in relational and professional dynamics? How do we leverage power, knowingly or unknowingly, to influence conflict or negotiate situations? This training will help facilitate an exploration of self-identity and how to build on that self-awareness to help set the tone for positive professional relationships and work in the broader community. This training will also discuss how to recognize the privilege that some of us hold and use that understanding to empower others and make connections across difference.
Audience: Individuals or teams working towards community health who may be new to discussing power and cultural dynamics in the context of their community work, or those seeking a refresher.
Learning Objectives: Participants completing this training will be able to:
- Define power and privilege and how they play a role in their everyday experiences and interactions.
- Identify ways in which power influences their relationships and experiences within the community.
- Identify at least two strategies for leveraging their power positively in their community work.
This training addresses the following MA DPH Coalition Criteria:
- Consistency with MA DPH‚Äôs goals and priorities
- Participation from key stakeholders (individuals and organizations that have a vested stake or interest in a program or policy initiative, e.g. it will impact them directly)
- Membership that is reflective of the community
- Shared vision including a focus on reducing health disparities and promoting health equity
We hope you’ll join us for a networking brown bag lunch from 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm before the afternoon session, Racial Equity, begins.