- This event has passed.
Undoing Racism (2.5 days)
September 25, 2015 @ 4:00 am - September 28, 2015 @ 3:59 am
Presented by the Mel King Institute
September 25, 2015 to September 27, 2015
5:30pm-8pm Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm Saturday, 9:00am-4:00pm Sunday
The People’s Institute for Survival and Beyond
‚ÄúThis is a transformative training that gave us a shared analysis on race for our community organizing work.‚Äù – Haymarket Grantee
Through dialogue, reflection, role-playing, and presentations, this intensive workshop challenges participants to analyze the structures of power and privilege that hinder social equity and prepares them to be effective organizers for justice.
The workshop is open to:
- community organizers and leaders
- peace and social justice advocates
- students, participatory researchers, and educators
- community development practitioners
- anyone interested in creating a more humane society
The 2 ¬Ω day workshop includes:
- historical & institutional analysis of racism
- understanding the structure of oppression
- defining and sharing culture
- leadership development
- principles of accountability and networking
The People’s Institute for Survival and Beyond was formed in 1980 by Dr. Jim Dunn and Ron Chisom, who worked to establish a training institute that provides not only community organizing skills, but an analysis, principles, and values that make these skills useful. The multiracial team of organizers/trainers includes more than 40 men and women whose anti-racist organizing expertise includes years with civil, labor and welfare rights struggles, educational, foster care, social service and health reform movements, as well as youth and grassroots community organizing. They have trained thousands of people across the world.