- This event has passed.
Webinar: What is Public Health and How Does it Impact All Sectors?
September 28, 2016 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Presented by the Community Health Training Institute
Topics: Core Public Health Frameworks, Health Impact Pyramid, Social Determinants of Health, Healthy Communities
Audience: New collaborators and coalition members from sectors including planning, housing, transportation, healthcare, business, public health, and others are encouraged to attend.
Lead Trainer: Maddie Ribble¬†(left),¬†Director of Public Policy and Campaign Strategy, MA Public Health Association (MPHA)
Guest: Barry Keppard, Manager, Public Health Division, Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC)
Guest: Kiah McAndrew-Davis, Mass in Motion Program Director, Springfield DHHS
Description: How is public health different from healthcare? Why does healthy communities work center around cross-sector coalitions? Why does equity play a vital role in health? Learn the foundation of the public health theory and practice that shapes effective community health.
This webinar provides a framework and shared language for collaborators and coalition members from sectors that may be new to working with public health partners (e.g., planning, housing, transportation, healthcare, business, and more). The core concepts introduced in the webinar will provide context for coalition work and more in-depth training from the Training Institute.
Learning Objectives: Participants completing the webinar will be able to
1. Recognize the role of core public health frameworks, health impact pyramid, social determinants of health, and healthy communities‚Äô principles.
2. Discuss the value of collaboration between different sectors (including their own) towards a common vision of community.
3. Define health equity and discuss its application.
¬†This webinar addresses the following MA DPH coalition criteria:
- Shared vision including a focus on reducing health disparities and promoting health equity
- Participation from key stakeholders (individuals and organizations that have a vested stake or interest in a program or policy initiative, e.g. it will impact them directly)
- Consistency with MA DPH‚Äôs goals and priorities